Here are a few things you can do to ramp up in the self love department. Now WHIP OUT THAT JOURNAL GIRL!:
- Create a Mantra: A mantra is usually one sentence that you memorize and recite to yourself our out loud when your inner bitch starts to run her mouth. "I am strong, my body is spectacular, I love every part of me." Choose something that resonates with you and even better if it's the exact opposite of what that bitch is saying! Pick a time of day to recite (I like getting out of the shower when I'm buck naked) and flex that new habit muscle!
- My Best Friend: Talk to your body like you would your best friend (assuming you're nice to your bestie lol). You wouldn't tell your bestie she's a pudgy, unmotivated loser would you?!So how come those types of conversations come up privately, within you?? Your mantra will come in handy here. Keep in mind this is a practice and it will take a bit of work to strengthen your self love muscles. Be patient and be KIND. The next time you hear your inner bitch being well, bitchy, combat the dialogue with a conversation that you would have with your best friend and feel the negativity dissolve.
- Name Your Bitch: This one is so fun. I know it sounds a little nuts when I say "having a conversation with yourself," but I can assure you that your body and your mind work in VERY different ways. Your brain is the problem solver, the conscious, the logic and the reasoning. Your body is a part of the subconscious that is responsible for innate activities like breathing, heart rate and emotions. Your inner bitch is your conscious critic, and she's full of shit. What she says isn't real. Try to separate this negative, internal chatter from what actually IS, your body. To do this, pick a name you dislike for your inner bitch. Every time she pipes up (in the mirror, before bed etc.), say her name and tell her to shut the fuck up. I also find it useful to make fun of her, like "you know nothing and you're an idiot because my body is absolute perfection." Over time, she'll quiet and bonus points when she becomes kind and complimentary!
- BODY TEMPLE "What would I do if I were to treat my body like a temple? Think of all the gorgeous, vast and intricate temples around the world (Taj Mahal, Parthenon etc,) people take pretty darn good care of those right? So take 20 minutes and make a HUGE list of all the ways you could take PERFECT care of your beautiful bod. This could be anything from sleeping 10 hours a night to a yoga retreat in Panama. Get really creative and consider the things that make you feel amazing!
- BODY STRONG. Take another 20 minutes and write down all the amazing things your strong, beautiful body allows you to do. Even if you're not well or have an injury, you'd be amazed at how your body supports you throughout the hours. Think morning, noon and through the night and all of your social activities, work, play and down time.
- The Love List Take 20 minutes to make a list of all the things you love about yourself. What do people compliment you on? What do you think when you say "I really have that going for me." Start at the VERY tippy top of your head and work your way down to your toes. You can say things like: "I love that I have all 20 fingers and toes" or "I love the color of my eyes" or "I love the way ankles are shaped." Get SUPER specific!
- Self Care List Take 10 minutes and write down a few habits you could create to take extraordinary care of yourself. Remember the Body Temple journal exercise here and work some of these in. For each habit you write down, make a note of when you can do them and how often. I will not take "I don't have time" as an excuse. When self care comes first, the rest of life will fall beautifully into place and you can exhibit your best work.
Live to Thrive,